Wednesday, June 25, 2008

LIM YI HUI - Unclean water kills 4000 daily worldwide

The World Health Organisations(WHO) has estimated that: Polluted drinking water will kill around 1.6 million people this year unless the government around the world make a concerted effort to clean up their supplies. Over 4000 people die each day from water-bourne and some 700 million people in Asia alone lack easy access to safe drinking water. The number is still rising. Dr James Bertnam, coordinator of the WHO's Water, Sanitation and Health Programme, said that we must anticipate long-term water shortages caused by rising demand and climate change.

Personal view: I realised how fortunate I am to be able to live in Singapore, without having to worry about the shortages of water or the water being polluted. It is rather sad to learn that people from other parts of the world are experiencing shortage of water, drinking unclean water which would affect their health. And it could lead to death for certain cases. I think the government of countries having such problems should convey the seriousness of the water situation to their citizens and also educate them on how to improve the water conditions.

No comments: