Ms Srey Mom is a Cambodian who was one of the unfortunate girls who was being sold to be a child prostitude. She started working at the age of seven, abandoned at 10 and then she became a child prostitude at 14. She contracted the HIV virus when she was only 16. She is now an activist who is determined to help other Cambodian girls avoid her fate. Therefore, she shared about problems of human trafficking and child prostitution that plagued Cambodia and other South-east Asian countries to Singapore students who attended a Famine Camp. 30,000 sex workers in Cambodia are estimated to be below 16 years of age and a fifth of these workers are infected with HIV. The relief and advocacy agency runs camps annually to educate Singaporeans to act on global issues such as poverty, hunger and HIV or AIDS. As people are getting poorer, parents are known to sell their daughters.
Personal Views:
As a teenager, I truly sympathise with Ms Srey Mom and other girls who were being sold to work as child prostitudes. I feel I am really fortunate to be a Singaporean as I cannot imagine if Singapore has such activities happening. We, Singaporeans at least have the chance to learn about global issues rather than being the victims over at Cambodia.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment